Quantity: Approx 10-15
What you'll need:
1/4 cup chana dal
1/8 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp grated ginger
1-1.5 tbsp chopped green chillies
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Soak the chana dal overnight in sufficient water.
- Grind the dal with as minimum water as possible. The final texture should be coarse, there maybe a few whole grains left. The more you churn the batter, the more fluffy the vada will be which we don't want.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a fry pan (for deep frying the vadas). Initially keep it at high flame so that the oil gets heated quickly, once the oil is hot reduce the flame to med-high.
- Take a heaped tbsp of batter in your paln, pat it a little to form a small disc and drop it in the oil. Fry them well so that the dal inside gets cooked properly. Each vada may take around 3-4 minutes. While frying turn over the vada when one side is done to let the other side cook. Remove when they're slightly dark brown.
- Batter should not be fine-grained, it should be coarse.
- Don't worry if you'd to add a little extra water to grind, squeeze the extra water before dropping the vada into the oil.
- Fry the vadas patiently on a medium-high flame. If cooked on a high flame, they will become brown from outside but will not cook inside. If you're cooking a lot of vadas and you think the oil has cooled down a little, then increase the heat to high for sometime till the oil regains it's temperature.